Print this page

CAL Copyright licence questions and answers

CAL Copyright licence questions and answers Pixabay 819781

Commonly asked questions about this Group Licence:

* what is CAL ?

  • Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) is a not for profit rights management organisation. CAL enables the use of text and images in return for fair payment to writers, visual artists and publishers. This includes managing the Viscopy business: services to artists and users of images.
  • CAL has the use of the works of its members which now totals over 26,000. This means these members have granted rights to Copyright Agency to allow its licensees (such as your celebrant associations) to use their work in many ways.
  • CAL also has the use of works of members of overseas collecting societies in around 35 countries such as the USA, UK, Canada and New Zealand. Copyright Agency has bi-lateral agreements with these countries allow each to use the works of the other societies members.

* what does CAL do with the licence fee monies if it is a non-profit body ?

  • The fees paid by licensees to Copyright Agency are paid back to the copyright owners of the material.
  • This encourages creativity and means people are paid for the works they create which in many case allows them to continue to create new material.
  • As Copyright Agency is a not for profit company, it deducts an average of around 15% of licence fees paid to run the company with the remaining 85% paid to Rights holders.

* what happens if I use a work of an author who is not one of CAL's members?

  • CAL provides Indemnity against any copying of non member works.
  • This means should any celebrant copy works that do not belong to a rights holder CAL represents and the Rights holder takes action against them, Copyright Agency will indemnify the celebrant against any damages, up to the amount of the licence fees by the association over the life of the licence.

* what are the benefits of this licence?

  • a cost-effective way of managing your copyright responsibilities and removing the need to ask for permission each time you want to use copyright materials;
  • convenient access to millions of copyright materials like books, journals & newspapers;
  • the ability to fill in the gaps in copyright compliance around your use of materials provided under subscriptions and other materials your organisation uses; and
  • a licence that removes the risk of copyright infringement
  • as CAL actually has rights granted to them, the chance of anyone being sued is far less
  • the monies collected go to creators rather than a for profit corporation such as an insurance company.

* how is this licence different to an insurance company policy that indemnifies against the infringement of Intellectual Property Rights?

  • relying on an Insurance Policy clause, without CAL Licence cover, increases one's risk of copyright infringement as one has no agreed permission to use materials of other creators
  • without CAL Licence cover, celebrants would not be able to share poetry on our TCN Copyright Forum even if they are TCN members
  • monies collected are not used to reimburse creators for the use of their work in any way

* how is this licence different to the Sole Trader Copyright Licence ?

  • The current CAL Sole Traders licence is for hard copy reproduction only.
  • It allows celebrants to copy up to 10% or one chapter from any book, journal or magazine.
  • The rate for this licence Sole Trader Licence is significantly dearer than a Group Celebrant Licence

This CAL Celebrants Group Licence allows is more than the equivalent of the Sole Trader licence (saving that fee) adding digital copying and communication.

* what does it will cover?

  • Photocopying ( up to 10% or one chapter of any book, journal or magazine
  • Post material on your password protected website
  • Supply of hard copy materials to third parties (clients etc)
  • Scanning of materials and electronic storage (i.e. on hard drives)
  • Displaying material in PowerPoint presentations etc.
  • Download and store material from internet (10% or words in a digital work)
  • Scan, download and store material from internet

* with digital material ?

  • Download material from net,
  • scan,
  • email,
  • store material,
  • display on data projector and
  • post to  TCN password protected site

* with hard copy material ?

  • Photocopying ( up to 10% or one chapter of any book, journal or magazine)
  • hand out hard copies of materials to third parties (guests at weddings, funerals etc).

* what restrictions are there?

Restrictions as to the amount (10%) and the type of material above

* what will it not cover?

  • Excluded works include any publication from The Australian Hymn Book Company including the Together in Song Series.

Any other material is fine to use provided it used for your work as a celebrant

* how does this licence help me as a celebrant?

  • It allows celebrants to legally source and share information without the risk of breaching anybodies copyright and possibly having legal action taken against them.
  • It allows you to share this information, such as poetry or readings etc with the network and store materials for future use.
  • It also removes the need to contact the copyright owners each and every time you wish to reproduce or copy their works.

* are there any courtesies to be observed eg should I still ask the author for permission?

The network licence removes the need to seek direct permission from the copyright owner each time you wish to copy, download or reproduce and hand out their works.

* what about music?

Music is not covered by this licence (if you wish to play music, you should contact APRA). 

* what about lyrics?

The copying/printing of lyrics is no longer permitted under this licence.

* when I used copyrighted material, how do I show that I am using someone's work?

The statement “Copyright Agency Limited – Licensed Copy” should be placed on works to show they have been legally sourced and shared.

* does this licence only cover Australian material ? 

No. The licence covers a worldwide repertoire, with only The Australian Hymn Book Companies works being excluded.

* how does the author or publisher benefit from this licence, if we don't contact them?

CAL does surveys year round to find out which materials or works are being copied. We collect this information in order to provide the authors and publishers with their royalties from the fees paid by licensees.

* will the celebrant be personally audited ?

No, individual celebrants will not be asked to participate in the survey. CAL may ask the network to provide a list of posted materials from its Forum site in order to pay fees back to CAL's members, but individual celebrants will not be asked to take part in the survey process.

* does this  cover sending a poem by email to a couple or family ? 

A celebrant may send a poem to a client for their viewing for inclusion in a ceremony, however the client must not make any further reproductions of the material as they are not covered under the licence.

what are the details of the licence?

Download the licence here:

 * how can I obtain this licence?

Apply online at the TCN Celebrant Shop for Copyright Cover

  • Discounts for  TCN Inc members apply.
  • Join online to be an TCN marriage, family, funeral  and / or other celebration member.

Please note: ALL  TCN-CAL Celebrant Group Copyright Licence Holders MUST



Last modified on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 17:16