Overseas couples considering marriage in Australia

You do not need to be Australian or an Australian resident to be married in Australia.

Celebrants from The Celebrants Network are trained to work with overseas couples and can incorporate traditions from your home country into the ceremony if you wish.

Overseas visitors must meet the same Basic Conditions and legal requirements for marriage as Australian residents including giving one month's Notice.  

If you are outside of Australia when completing your Notice of Intended Marriage form, you must have your signatures witnessed by one of the following:

  • an Australian Consular Officer
  • an Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • a Notary Public
  • an Employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3c of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • an employee of ther Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3d of the Consular Fees Act 1955
Once it is signed and witnessed, you can scan and email the Notice of Intended Marriage to your celebrant in Australia along with electronic copies (of originals) of your ID and marriage status ie: divorce/death certificates.

Marriage in Australia does not give you any right to stay in Australia 

It is important to understand that marrying in Australia, even if you marry an Australian citizen, does not entitle you to remain in Australia.  The Department of Immigration and Border Protection website has information about visas for partners.

Note: Civil Celebrants in Australia can not give out any information or advice on immigration matters.

Contact a professional civil celebrant from The Celebrants Network if you want to find out more about marrying while visiting Australia.  


Last modified on Monday, 18 September 2023 19:52