First of all, what is the role of the celebrant?
The role of a civil celebrant is to:
- work with couples and families to create a beautiful, meaningful ceremony that suits their style.
- witness two consenting adults entering into a legal and binding relationship.
- complete all the legal paperwork and make sure that it is all done within the strict legal rules set in the Marriage Act of 1961.
Here are some questions that you might consider when engaging a civil celebrant.
2. What paperwork is required before we can get married?
Of course! It’s always a good idea to meet with your celebrant and make sure you feel comfortable with them and that you get a feeling of trust - after all, they will be taking care of a very important event for you and your loved ones.
3. What services do you offer?
This can be used as a good comparison between celebrants, but it also gives you reassurance that you will be receiving everything that you want/need for your ceremony.
4. What happens during the ceremony?
If you’ve not been to too many ceremonies - weddings, namings or funerals, you may not be aware of how a ceremony works. Asking this question will help to give you a visual of how the ceremony will flow.
5. Are you willing to travel?
Fairly important if you’re planning to have your ceremony 500kms away from where the celebrant lives!
6. Do you provide a PA system?
As part of the Celebrant Code of Practice, celebrants must make sure that the ceremony can be heard. So if you’re having your ceremony on the beach or in a field, it’s important that your celebrant is able to provide a good quality PA system.
7. Do you have or will you take any other bookings on the same day?
Some celebrants will book more than one ceremony on a day, which is completely fine – however a professional celebrant will make sure there is enough time to get between venues without rushing and missing anything.
Professional celebrant associations like TCN - (The Celebrants Network) offer their members support, assistance and ongoing professional development. Celebrants who are a part of an association are able to network with colleagues and share their knowledge and experience whilst having access to a vast amount of information to help improve their skills.
What a wonderful offer. I’d be honoured!
* ________________________________________________ *
Thank you for joining us....
?? We would love it if you would let us know what you think ?.
There is a comment section ? at the bottom ⬇ of the blog for you to do just that.
?Click on the word "Comment" and go for it!
? Don't forget to subscribe ? to this blog - the "subscribe" button is up the top of the page ⇞⇞⇞ and the blog will magically ?? appear in your email inbox ?.
Also please feel free to share ? our blog on your social media ? so we can spread the love ?!
Please use this ? link: https://www.celebrations.org.au/blog when you share. ?
Find us on Facebook & Twitter